Thursday, January 8, 2009

New release date

I know I've been telling everyone that my next book, Lockdown, is coming out in February. Today I found out that it's been pushed back a month and the new release date is March. My editor was very apologetic, but I think I'm the one person who isn't really going to notice. After all, I've already read the book. :) With that said, I really am excited to see Lockdown in print and have a copy in my hot little hands.

Every so often, I start writing and I am absolutely stunned when several weeks later, I have this manuscript on my desk that I can't quite figure out how it came to be. Lockdown was one of those books.

I can still remember the day I walked away from the television and started writing Lockdown. It was April 17, 2007, the day after the Virginia Tech shootings. The television was still on in the family room as other family members watched and listened. All of the people that we knew at Tech were safe, but our hearts broke for the families of those who hadn't been so lucky. I remember having a similiar reaction after the Columbine shooting. I wanted to watch the television to see what had caused this horrible event to happen, but at the same time I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Lockdown really was my therapy, my way of learning how I deal with those kinds of senseless tragedies. What I found is that through it all, there is always hope for a better day tomorrow.

4 comments:

Callie Thurell said...

I am a huge fan of yours!!! I have read the undercurrents series at least 5 times! (And plan to again!!!)

I'm sad that Lockdown is delayed but now I will have time to read it during spring break.

Being a teacher I understand how scary it is when something bad happens at a school.

I'm glad you were able to your your talents as a writer to help cope.

Karlene said...

I'm still a book behind...but I just finished Freefall--and I LOVED it. Your books just get better and better. :)

Traci Hunter Abramson said...

Thanks Callie and Karlene! By the way, Lockdown actually spins off a bit from Freefall. The main characters in Freefall are actually secondary characters in Lockdown. I guess sometimes I'm not quite ready to let the old characters go. :)

Callie Thurell said...

Hanging on to characters is fine by me!!! I hate when I finish books because that is the end of the people I have come to love.