Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Internet troubles

Last Friday I received an e-mail from my editor asking for one minor change in the manuscript we're currently editing. I had a busy weekend planned, so I read over the suggestion, let it simmer in the back of my mind for a few days even though I knew that I could have completed the edit in about fifteen minutes. Then yesterday, I dutifully went to my computer and input the necessary changes.

Simple, right? I did the work somewhat efficiently. Sending the electronic file back and forth via e-mail is quick and convenient. At least it's supposed to be. When I was ready to send the manuscript back to my editor so she could move it along into the next stage of editing, I had a familiar problem. My file wouldn't attach to the e-mail.

This problem has occurred before, ironically at least three times when I was trying to submit a manuscript to my publisher for consideration, and a couple more times when I had edits that were due.

Even though I should have known the outcome of my efforts, I waited...and waited...and waited. For literally an hour. So I downloaded the file onto my flash drive and tried sending it from my husband's computer. This time I only waited ten minutes before giving up.

With my flash drive in hand, I grabbed my keys, got in the car, and drove the six blocks to the library. Three minutes later, I sat down at a library computer, logged onto my e-mail, attached the file (which took less than a minute), and drove back home. I sat down at my desk to see that the e-mail I had originally tried to send was still trying to load the attachment.

This experience has driven home three simple facts. One, my internet only works when I'm NOT trying to send in a manuscript. Two, I can WALK to the library to send a file faster than sending it from home when my internet is on strike. And finally, I am reminded that Murphy's law is alive and well.

3 comments:

CorneliusButterfield said...

The worst is when you hit two keys at the same time and that annoying pop-up pops up saying you have to shut down, and everything you've typed is lost. Thank You God for the five minute auto-save. Still, five nminutes is an eternity when you get inspired. Getting away form the computer and taking that walk to the libray is probably a good thing, no? I write a sports blog, but I have that unfinished action/thriller waiting to be finished in the bottom drawer. Some day.

Stephanie Black said...

Traci, how frustrating!! Aargh! I'm glad you were finally able to get the file sent.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you were able to get the file sent too. Are you good at resume writing i wonder?